The cemetery garden
The gentle looking monk with a slight stoop greeted me kindly,
a blue apron tied around his black habit. He lowered
the squirt bottle he was using to clean the dining table.
It was my first time at this monastery and had just
set things down in my room and was setting out
to explore the grounds, so beautifully landscaped.
The gentle monk eagerly explained the lay
of the land, where the sanctuary was and that beyond
the cemetery were the stations of the cross, a prayer walk,
a gazebo at the end, if I liked, to end my prayers.
He talked with his hands, especially his right hand,
or so it had seemed to me, or so it had had to seem
with its missing fingers. I kept my eyes on the monk's
even as he gestured and chirped about what was what
and where, the thumb, the index, a pair of nubs,
and then a pinky, waving and pointing.
We blessed each other
and I found many gardens well kept. At the cemetery,
past the pair of jacaranda trees that flanked the entrance,
the geraniums and century plants, the succulents and
nameless flowers I recognized bloomed, surrounding
three, rectangular plots filling with stainless-steel crosses.
They stood sentry for the hope and promise
that at the resurrection, after Christ's face, the brothers'
would be what they saw. They'd rise to find the garden
vibrant and one another in resplendent recognition that
needed no name or a new name. Or new names. Agapanthus
would be also trumpet pincushion and firework of proclamations
and Mary's violet annunciation. The hare that froze
when I sat down at a bench would bound away carefree.
The raptor that swooped at the hare, now perched on the
sanctuary's cross would name the wind
according to its heave and whirl.
I would be back
at the dining room, finishing my tea, everyone gone
except the gentle monk on kitchen duty who'd already
put away the cart of dirty dishes. I would hand him
my mug, which he'd take, without hesitation, only I
am the hesitation and stubbed surprise. He'd take it
with his right hand, gripping the mug just fine, at a
tile, just fine.
Labels: poetry
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home